Photos of the Old Bega Hospital Pre 1900

Photos of the Old Bega Hospital have come from a number of sources over many years. Copies are collected here for convenience and safekeeping. Generally the provenance, author, copyright ownership and even the date of each photo, are unknown. We are more than happy to acknowledge sources and ownership where they are known, and apologise for any breaches. We are also working on identifying more precisely and accurately what is shown in each photo. If you can help with any of these aspects for any of the photos please Contact Us. Photos are listed here in approximately date order with the most recent photos at the top.

Click on small images to see a larger version (some up to 4MB, typically 2MB)

Photos pre 1900

Old Bega Hospital 'before 1900s'. In all photos, the ends of the building (the Women's and Men's wards) are in weatherboard rather than brick, and have towers on the corners. The verandahs are partly enclosed with lattice. There is some attempt at a formal garden, with a garden path and circular garden in front of the main northern entry.

Original of top left photo above, from State Library of NSW: https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/Yj7VO4G9/R0NxDNy6dlvV. View from the northwest.

Original of bottom left photo above, from State Library of NSW: https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/YEGXxLbn/dxRlpNJx7Wv6N. View from the northwest.

Original of bottom right photo above, from State Library of NSW: https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/record/9qoWmvQ1/N5zkOQ5m8kb7b. View from the north. The central part of the building is in brick, dated 1888, with weatherboard wards on each side and towers in corners. The function of the towers in the corners is not known, but they may have been aids to ventilation. There are similar towers, constructed in brick, on the old Bathurst Hospital, which was designed by the same architectural practice (William Boles, Sydney). The timber parts of the building were attacked by white ants (termites): the western end was replaced with brick in 1904, and the eastern end in 1909.

'Bega District Hospital (side view) in the nineties'. View from the southwest, showing the 'back' of the main building. The laundry is on the right, lattice on verandahs, remnant red gums.