Friends of the Old Bega Hospital Newsletter 19 October 2017
Four things in this newsletter:
- the Raise the Roof spring fair on Sunday 28 October - big day out for family and friends
- the Travel Raffle - win $3,000 travel from Flight Centre
- our funding application to the NSW government Regional Cultural Fund - we need you to write to Andrew Constance
- advance notice for the AGM on Sunday 11 November.
Raise the Roof
The Raise the Roof Spring Fair will be on again on Sunday 28 October, from 10am to 2pm. It is a big community day at the Old Bega Hospital.
- There will be sensational music by local band The Hoops - come and party like it was 1959!
- Market stalls, cake stalls (home made), food, coffee, tea and drinks will cater to every need
- You can explore the grounds with self guided tours and hear about the restoration plans
- You can visit the weavers, potters and leadlighters to see what they are up to in their Old Bega Hospital studios
- Join up your dog for the dancing dog and dog high jump competition (starting at midday)
- Win a prize in the famous Chocolate Wheel
- Get you face painted, jump in the castle, stick to the wall and say Hi to Pepper Pig
- See how the 93.7 EdgeFM community radio station operates, and pick up some vinyl from their records sale - who knows what treasures you might find?
- Find a bargain at the Men's Shed garage sale
- Get information on the Beekeepers and University of the Third Age, who use the OBH for some of their activities.
- You can join any of the community groups, including the Friends of the Old Bega Hospital to show your support.
So bring everyone along and have a great day out!
If you can help with the Fair (anything from parking to cleaning up), phone John on 0417 260 454.
The Friends of the Old Bega Hospital is running its Travel Raffle again this year. The prize is $3,000 worth of travel from Flight Centre.
Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. You'll be able to pick them up at the Spring Fair. Helpers are needed to sell tickets from a table on Carp Street in Bega - it is much more fun with two, and you'll have an experienced person to help you. Contact Pat on 6492 4936.
The Reserve Trust has submitted an application for a grant of $2,921,000 from the Regional Cultural Fund for a Regional Cultural Centre at the Old Bega Hospital. The Trust is also hoping that the earlier $500,000 offer from John Barilaro, Deputy Premier, will be renewed, so that $3,421,000 is available to restore the community cultural centre and the heritage building.
The Trust's architects, Sibling Architecture, Melbourne, are in the final stages of documenting a development application. Their work is being funded by a $100,000 Heritage Activation Grant from the NSW Government Office of Environment and Heritage.
The application for the Regional Cultural Fund required a business case. The Trust prepared that itself. It is quite a good read! Available on the www.obh.org.au website. You can pick up a copy of the plans there too.
What we need now is political support for the application, and to ensure that we get the $500,000 from John Barilaro.
You can help by writing to The Hon Andrew Constance (Member for Bega, 122 Carp Street, Bega NSW 2550), to let him know you support the project. We have printed postcards with a short message to make this easy! Pick one up at the Spring Fair (and save on postage by leaving it for us to deliver) or from the Raffle Ticket sales table, or from some coffee shops and Spiral Gallery.
We hope to hear the result of the application in December.
We will be sending out the notice for the AGM shortly, as a separate newsletter.
It will be held at 2pm on Sunday 11 November at the Old Bega Hospital - save the date!